TOMATOES, TOMAT ~ all about vegetables

how to pick vegetables...................

Eventhough I know vegetables almost all my life, but sometimes, I always confused and curious how should I pick best. In my little tips below, I hope that it will help you to get the freshnest and best vegetables for your meals of the day.
Google

Friday, February 1, 2008

TOMATOES, TOMAT



Available all year, peak May to August.

Look for well-shaped, heavy tomatoes with uniform full color. Avoid those with bruises and mushy centers. Vine-ripened tomatoes are better than those picked while green, which are often treated with ethylene gas to force reddening. Store ripe tomatoes at room temperature for 1 day or refrigerate up to 3 days. Underripe tomatoes should be left in a warm spot until ripe. Never refrigerate tomatoes until fully ripe
.


COOKING TIME:

- Steam : 2 to 3 minutes
- Microwave : 3 to 4 minutes
- Blanch : 1 to 2 minutes
- Boil : Not recommended
- Other : bake halves 8 to 15 minutes at 400F (200C)

No comments: