ASPARAGUS ~ all about vegetables

how to pick vegetables...................

Eventhough I know vegetables almost all my life, but sometimes, I always confused and curious how should I pick best. In my little tips below, I hope that it will help you to get the freshnest and best vegetables for your meals of the day.
Google

Thursday, January 31, 2008

ASPARAGUS

Available sporadically all year; peak March to June.

Look for firm, straight spears with closed, tightly budded, compact tips. The stalks should be crisp, not wilted. Buy spears of uniform size to ensure even cooking. Avoid woody, dry stems. To help retain moisture, stand cut ends in an inch of water or wrap ends in a moist paper towel or cloth; place in a plastic bag, making sure tips stay dry. Refrigerate up to 5 days.

COOKING TIME:
- Steam : 8 - 10 minutes
- Microwave : 4 - 6 minutes, in adding 2 tbsp water per 450 g
- Blanch : 2 - 3 minutes
- Boil : 5 - 12 minutes

No comments: